Thursday, June 23, 2011

I've Been Thinking

I've been thinking about the series of questions that I saw on ancestry.ca.  When my mom put together a tribute book for my grandparents (Jack and Mary Morton) in 1979 she asked each one of my grandma's sisters and brother to write something special about Mary.  I was shocked to read that almost everyone of them mentioned how much Mary loved peas.
Grandma Mary died when I was 7 and so I have limited memories of her.  One of my memories is Grandma sitting beside me on the couch and teaching me how to 'shuck' peas.  For the past 10 years I have grown a garden and the peas are always a favorite.  I became so grateful for those written accounts and memoires about Grandma so now whenever I plant, shuck and eat peas I am reminded of my wonderful grandma.
There are many qualities that I know she had.  Mom said that she always serviced generously, she sewed beautifully and she loved to work (and she had fun doing it).  These are a few of the qualities I want to take from her.
Her are some of the pea quotes from her siblings:
Velda said:  When we shelled peas we counted our a certain number- then raced to see who could finish first.
Ruth said: I remember when we were little and whenever in the summertime we couldn’t find her, we just went into the pea patch and Mary would be eating peas her dress lap full.  I wonder if she still likes peas that well now.  
When I was telling a cousin (Diane Sommerville) about Grandma Mary she told me another story about peas and grandma.  She told me that Grandma told her the secret to her delcious gravy was that she used always used the pea water!!


So please take some time and start recording some of your memoires and stories, you never know how they can affect future generations.



No comments:

Post a Comment