Sunday, January 1, 2012

Huldah Ostlund Nelson

Huldah Ostlaun Nelson
This past week I had the priveledge to 'meet' a new cousin of mine.  He is the grandson of my grandma Mary Morton's sister Bertha Stone.  It has been a great pleasure getting to know him.  He sent me a picture of Huldah that I had never seen.
Huldah as a baby.
Huldah in her later years.
I really don't know much about her other than she was sick for most of my grandma's life and my grandma spent most of her youth nursing her.  My grandma was born Oct 12, 1916  and Huldah died the 1st of Feb 1930. Bertha was born 2 years after Mary and then Beth was born in 1923 so she wasn't quite 7 when her mother passed.
Huldah and Alonzo (Lon) meet when Lon came up from Utah in a cattle car with his brother Nels in 1904.  They married May 5, 1909 and purchased a farm one mile east of Stirling and made their home there.
Huldah's parents were Jonas and Bertha Anstrom Ostlund they were both from Torp V Norrland, Sweden.  They heard the gospel from LDS missionaries and were baptized there.  They immigrated to America and were married in Albert Lea, Minnesota December 4, 1974.  After the birth of their first child they moved to Elsinor, Utah, where Jonas owned and operated a store and was mayor.
In 1901 they moved to Stirling, Alberta where they built a lovely home.  Jonas was a successful farmer and also enjoyed growing flowers and various types of berries.  He was the first chairman on the town council and continued in that position for three years, 1907-1910.  He went back to Sweden on two missions.  Jonas and Bertha had nine children, four of whom died in childhood.
Albin 30 Oct 1875
Levi 3 March 1877 died 15 Oct 1877
Hjaldermar 14 Dec died 13 Jan 1942
Amanda 22 August 1880 died 5 Oct 1880
John Henry 14 Sept 188111 Jan 1989
Leonard 14 Sept 1881 died 8 Oct 1881
Daniel 24 Jun 1883 died 31 Dec 1931
Huldah
Clarence 12 June 1887 died 19 Aug 1946

I am very pleased that there will be a Nelson family reunion held this year in Stirling, AB.  It will be an excellent opportunity to get to know cousins and more about who we are and where we came from.  I do not have all the details.  I believe that it is from June 30- July 2.  Of course we all have to take in the Raymond parade.  I will have more details as the time gets closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment